Ad Banner
neural-network
Research

Researchers unveil a neural network that can identify criminals by their faces

Researchers Xiaolin Wu and Xi Zhang from Shanghai Jiao Tong University in China have unveiled a neural network that can pick out criminals by looking at their faces.

According to MIT Technology Review, the researchers took ID photos of 1,856 Chinese men between the ages of 18 and 55 with no facial hair. Only half of those men had criminal past.

90 percent of the images were used to train the network to recognize differences while the remaining 10 percent of images were used to test the network.

The results revealed that the neural network is 89.5 percent accurate in identifying criminals and noncriminals.

In addition, the neural network noticed that the curvature of the upper lip is 23 percent larger for criminals, the distance between two inner corners of the eyes is 6 percent shorter, and the angle between two lines drawn from the tip of the nose to the corners of the mouth is 20 percent smaller.

(Photo Source: technologyreview.com)