Ad Banner
Press Releases

Joint Globe, police entrapment operation leads to arrest of Tattoo modem fraudster

A buy-bust operation conducted by a joint police and Globe Telecom security team resulted in the arrest of a fraudster in Cabanatuan City engaged in illegal sale of Globe Tattoo LTE modems.

Arrested was Paul John Edison Ramirez, 21 years old, a resident of No. 219 Ilang-ilang St. Barangay DS Garcia, Cabanatuan City. Ramirez is believed to be engaged in a modus operandi that involves retrieval of LTE or WiMAX modems from legitimate customers on pretext of an upgrade or repair. The modems are then reconfigured and sold at a one-time cost payment in popular social networking sites such as Facebook.

Globe General Counsel Atty. Froilan Castelo said the unscrupulous sale of Globe Tattoo modems could compromise mobile data services provided by the company to its legitimate customers.

“We would like to call on our customers to report to us any dubious offers involving Globe Tattoo modems particularly those that are inclusive of free internet offers. We would like to inform our customers that such offers do not exist and are coming from illegitimate sources. As Globe will not tolerate any unlawful use of our network, rest assured that we will continue to work closely with police authorities in resolving such illegal activities,” Castelo said. He emphasized that appropriate criminal charges will be filed against those who engage in illegal sale of Globe Tattoo modems.

Closely coordinating with police authorities, a Globe security team launched an entrapment operation targeting Ramirez on reports he was actively selling Tattoo LTE and WiMAX modems through a social media network account. Responding to a query through a fake account in Facebook for the purchase of a Tattoo LTE modem, Ramirez agreed to meet police operatives posing as buyers at NE Pacific Mall in Cabanatuan City in Nueva Ecija.

Police recovered from him 1 unit of Globe LTE modem, 1 unit of LTE antenna, 1 power cord and 1 LAN cable. Ramirez was brought to Cabanatuan City police station following his arrest.

Post Comment